Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Another great week,,.or two? :)





Another amazing weekend!!! It's already wednesday but I need to tell you about it before I forget everthing that happened. 

To begin I will make the format simple:

Friday:
I found out i could hike in high heels last friday. Apparently the week before in my Physics/chemistry class we were told to wear good hiking shoes and warm clothes but I was either half asleep or just didn't comprehend what was being said. So we had a field trip to the outskirts of Laval where there's a little forest and we did some hiking and looking at dirt and leaves.  It wasn't so bad because of the heels, only that it was morning and the dew on the grass was freezing cold! ;) But I made it alive without losing any toes to frostbite, and I even broadened my array of friends, because of the random people who kept asking if I was doing alright. It was easy to joke around then and make people laugh. Someone once told me that nobody can dislike somebody that can make them laugh.
After school I headed home, and after a couple hours my host mom brought me back into town to spend the night at Manon's house because we had an early day the next day and I live in Bonchamp, not Laval.  So we went out and the mini carnival is still there and so we rode the bumper cars and it was actually quite fun! A little painful, but quite worth it. After that we went to look at the movie theater, then, quite impulsively, we bought some indecently expensive tickets and went to watch a horror movie.  It wasn't so bad, other than everybody died in terrible ways. But the good thing was that I could understand it. I caught some jokes here and there, but really, in a horror movie, you don't really need too many words. :P 
The next morning...

Saturday: 
Naz came by in the morning while Manon and I were making our insanely American breakfast. (It was good to eat something more than wheat in the morning.) We were then all taken to a vineyard and we helped cut the grapes of the vines and put them in buckets and then sort them on these grand tables all the while tasting one grape to see if it was sour and then chucking it at someone or the trees if it was.
That was extremely fun. :)
Next, we finished and all left to a big barbeque. It wasn't the same of course, there weren't any buns or hamburgers. It was this Ricoti chicken stuff and some kind of hot dog, but it was more, how to say, real?  The bread that we ate them with was like a baguette but more flat.  Also, there was a lot of Camembert cheese which is my favorite, and also a lot of wine. 
Cheese and Wine really isn't a stereotype ;)
So we finished there and left to explore an old catholic church *while searching for a bathroom* and then went back to Laval, singing all the way to the radio. :) 

I was taken to the president of my other  host clubs house where I would stay the night because I had another early morning for sunday.  The president is actually the only women member in the club.  And she is so nice!  Her apartment is also beautiful. Its on the top story and has a balcony that has an amazing view of Laval's castle and an old church, as well as the Mayenne river.  I had my own room.  She gave me all the time I wanted to take a shower, and even let me use this really fancy hair dryer/curler. :) Then she took me shopping and showed me all of the really chic et raffin√© shops around town.  We looked for some fancy shoes but the whole trip I only ended up getting a free perfume sample from Sephora, which is now my favorite. :)  Afterwards we left to go to a Handball match where her niece was playing. It is quite a different sport, you'll have to look it up.  There was also a basketball game right next door so I was able to go watch that as well. French people in my city really get worked up over basketball while they're in the stands. Shouting and all. 
I was invited by Madame President's niece to go running with her and maybe even to some handball practices so I could learn how to play. 
It was really late when we returned home, so I went straight to bed. After having some orange juice for dinner of course. :)

Sunday:
I forgot to say that I was on a can too! :)
The next day we picked up Manon (I forgot to say that I invited her the day before to come, even though she's not in that club with me) and headed off to Laval.  There was a big event that my host club was setting up.  There were two races in Mayenne that day. A bike race, and a running race.  We helped set up, and left to go see the beginnings of both of the races.  For the running race, it so happened that there was a young man from Chicago who was running, and so while he ran by the man with the microphone handed it to me and I got to cheer for him in English.  That was a blast. :)

We helped at our little stand for awhile. It was a game with a lot of cans with the pictures of the rotary members on them, and people threw tennis balls at them to try to knock them all off the table. There weren't any prizes and it cost 1 euro for three balls, but still a lot of people played. I was amazing, and felt a little bad watching the kids leave without any candy or anything.

After that there was a pik nik. (I forgot to mention that from the very morning they had two pigs roasting over two spits.  That was a first to see. But it was really great there. We were introduced to an American woman who lives in Mayenne now whose married to a Latino, and she invited us over for some mexican food! A taste of home. haha :)

The chef was nice too :)
After we ate the pig and some other things we piled in the car and slept all the way home. Or at least I did. 

It was an amazing weekend. :)  Then school early monday. And I'm going to write quickly because there were some cool things that happened. First there was another field trip, but for PE, which was much more fun, and then after school I had a doctors appointment. Doctor's appointments are so much nicer here! It makes me want to practice here, when I'm old. I found out my weight and height in kilometers and kilos, and it turns out that when we converted it back to pounds, I have actually lost quite a bit of weight. Which is really strange..  Then right away after practice we went to the basketball courts and I was able to practice with the team I had talked about before! They are all so nice!  I practiced with them again today, and then will again on friday. It is SO good to have an activity! I love it. :)  I'm still searching for a Christian church too. But since God has answered that prayer, I think this one is next. :))

Also yesterday, Tuesday, a lot of teachers were on strike, so I didn't have to start school until 10am, and then I only had two classes the whole day because all of the teachers were gone. :) 

Well that's all for now folks! Starting to miss old Yak Town, but I'm fairing alright here. (I just finished reading this really strange/interesting book so I think I'm typing differently.)  ;)

Hugs!

Love,
Faith

P.S.  I really miss hugs.




























No comments:

Post a Comment